Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

My May Irises

islandgrl
    Admin

My May Irises

Post by islandgrl on Sat May 29, 2010 3:37 am

My irises are almost all in full bloom. Will post some of them now and some later. I will post a little introduction to my biggest garden. a couple of years is when I started turning a dog run into my flower garden.

Before I moved here, the farmhouse was rented to tennants. They had about 7 dogs, 4 of them hunting hounds. Here is a picture of how it looked before I started to work on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is all sand and gravel. More like a gravel pit. In fact I have gotten gravel from there to fill potholes in my driveway. It is a very large garden with everything in it. Very Happy

Here are two pictures of one corner that is a mass of blue flax and I cannot recall what the taller purple flowers are at the moment. There might be some purple irises in the background too.
    In the second picture, halfway down on the left you will see one of my works in progress, my rock garden.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The peonies are almost finished so they need a special thread or I will continue to post them in: In My Garden Now. So back to my irises that are now in bloom:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is late, so to be continued....
    Willows

Re: My May Irises

Post by Willows on Sat May 29, 2010 3:57 am

How beautiful, Islandgrl! and what a lot of work you have done! You are turning something, which was much less than a bare canvas (more like a crumpled canvas) into a work of art!

The irises are so beautiful!
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Thank you willows. You could do it too. LOL. Now the battle of the weeds go on.

The irises were in full bloom this week then the rains came last night and today. I was get a few pictures this afternoon, shabby they may look. Deadheading will be next week no doubt.

I really like the ruffled ones and plan on getting a collection from my favourite catalogue. I will post the ruffled ones first.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

More to come of the ones I took today after I download them.
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:55 pm

More for your enjoyment. Hope you love looking at them here as I did everyday in the garden. Click on thumbnail to make larger

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

How beautiful! I just don't have a green thumb at all.
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 pm

they are beautiful IG!

Thank you!
    oceanna

Post by oceanna on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Your gardens are so large and lovely it's like seeing
    pictures from a beautiful park. I love the different types
    and colours of iris.

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:21 am

You have a lovely and large garden Islandgrl, all those beautiful Irises of different colours are to be proud of.
    We recently bought some overstock plants at real bargain, a sort of pot-luck, but no Irises amongst them.
    Willows

Post by Willows on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:28 am

I especially love the first photo of your irisis Ig.. I once had "black irisis". Could that be one? They are all so delicate and beautiful!

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 am

Your gardens are stunning,I so love Irises....My hubby's one Uncle used to have a extra large garden and green house full of Irises as he cross breed them and has several plaques for winning with some of them also..
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:33 am

I am happy you all are enjoying the pictures. :) Thanks. Some of the irises are still blooming. Wish they bloomed all summer.

Willows that iris looks black from afar but up close is appears to be a silky dark burgundy. Very striking.

Cokeey, I would have loved to wonder through your uncle's garden. He must have had lots of beauties.

Here are some of the more common ones.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]URL=http://img64.imageshack.us/i/mistymorning042medium.jpg/][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 pm